Red Cross Certified Lifeguard Course in Lancaster County, PA
About the Course:
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to teach candidates the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. The course content and activities prepare candidates to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and prevent drownings and injuries.
Successful completion requires participation in skills practice. The practice sessions will require some strenuous physical activity. You are encouraged to check with your health-care professional before participating in the practice sessions. If a medical condition or disability exists that might prevent participation in the activities, or there are questions about fully participating in the Lifeguarding course, please contact me to discuss this before the course begins.
To enroll in the Lifeguarding course, you must be at least 15 years of age before the last scheduled class session. To participate in the Lifeguarding course, you must be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Swim 300 yards continuously:
- 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick. (Rhythmic breathing can be performed either by breathing to the side or to the front.)
- 100 yards of breaststroke using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence.
- 100 yards of either the front crawl or breaststroke. The 100 yards may be a combination of front crawl and breaststroke.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Be able to tread water for 2 minutes using only your legs.
Please bring a swimsuit and towel for every class.
Upon successful completion of the Lifeguarding course, each participant will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certificate, which is valid for 2 years.
If there are any questions regarding this course, please contact Justin T Hollinger at 717-598-0309.
Courses taught by American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor – Justin T Hollinger.
To register, fill out registration form below, include payment and mail to Black Rock Retreat.
Course 1: Friday, June 1 – 5pm-9pm Saturday, June 2 – 8am-5pm Sunday, June 3 – 12pm-5pm
Course 2: Tuesday, June 12 – Thursday 14 – 8:30am – 3:30pm
(Dates may change due to when the school years ends)
Black Rock Retreat
1345 Kirkwood Pike
Quarryville, PA 17566 (Get Directions »)
(Southern Lancaster County, PA)