Outdoor Education for Public or Private Schools
•We program as much or as little of your retreat as possible. Fresh out of ideas? Thats where we jump in!
•Trained proffesional staff that conect with your students.
•Hands on science outside the classroom with plenty of things to do.
Click Here to Check out a Sample Schedule
Scroll down to see a list of classes offered this year:
Call today for more information (717) 529-3232 or email us at email@example.com
When can we come?
Program dates are available during the entire school year, with the exception of the eighth grade adventure curriculum, which is has limited availibility during the months of November through February. We invite schools of all sizes to participate in all programs, however smaller schools are asked to share their dates with other schools.
How long is a typical outdoor education retreat at Black Rock?
Our programs generally run any where from one to four days with our staff running as much or as little of the program as you would like.
How much does it cost and what does it include?
The cost for participating in a three-day residential Outdoor Education program at Black Rock is $150 per person. This fee covers the full program, including, most classes*, an Outdoor Education workbook, lodging, meals, and evening activities. Schools that have been with Black Rock during the past year may qualify for "legacy pricing."
We also offer 1, 2, or 4 day trips. Contact the outdoor education office for pricing.
What kind of accommodations do you have?
Students participating in the Outdoor Education program stay in comfortable, bunk style cabins which sleep ten people each. The cabins are heated and feature a private bath. Linens are not provided. Six delicious, nutritious meals are served family style in the Oakwood Dining Hall. Two snacks are also provided.
Your school is responsible to provide one adult leader for every nine students.
For more information or for available dates, contact Titus McGrath Outdoor Education Director at (717) 529-3375 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Classes to Choose From:
In order to serve students more effectively we have introduced one new class and are highlighting ten more classes this year. They will be offered along with the classes found in our curriculum matrix.
- Laser Tag - New - Have an absolute blast but with a purpose. Laser tag at Black Rock Retreat is not only a fun activity but a new way to learn how to work as a team. The cost for this class is $5 per participant (fee only applies to legacy schools).
- Invertebrate Dissection - Get fingertip deep in the incredible workings of an earthworm and grasshopper. The cost for this class is $3 per participant (fee only applies to legacy schools)..
- Archery - This class is an integration of history, safety, science and coordination. Plus, it's a lot of fun! The cost for this class is $1 per participant (fee only applies to legacy schools).
- Creek Studies - Immerse your students in the fun of real life exploring. In this class your students will actually get wet learning about water and the living things that call it home.
- Wilderness Survival - In this sampler course of outdoor survival skills, students will learn the basics of wilderness survival including shelter building, fire building and cooking.
- Consumers- Every one eats! Discover how energy flows from the sun to your burger on the grill. This hands on class will have your students dissecting an owl pellet and discovering what is part of the everyday diet of a night hunter.
- Ecology - Students will recognize the delicate balance in nature by learning about ecosystems, symbiosis between organisms, and the different roles organisms play. This class is full of fun things to do. It's truly a hands on adventure.
- Geo-cache Black Rock - GPS technology can be found everywhere including here at Black Rock. Learn how this navigation system works and use them to find treasures around camp.
- Team Building (Group Initiatives)- Does your class work as a team? Do you see leadership potential in some of your students but lack the setting to really bring it out. This course will help your students realize just what they can accomplish when they truly function together.
- Astronomy- Map out the solar system and travel from the sun all the way to Neptune with your feet firmly planted on the third planet from the sun. Discover the other things you might encounter during your trip and far beyond the reach of our suns gravity.
- Animals and their Habitats- Students will get up close and personal with a few of the animals in our nature center (and hopefully some outside as well). Learn unique adaptations different species have that help them thrive in thier environment. This class is a hands on class but we never ask a student to hold or touch an animal that feels uncomfortable.
- Don't see a class your looking for? Some classes may be availible upon request.