The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Course is to teach candidates the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. The course content and activities prepare candidates to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and prevent drownings and injuries.
Successful completion requires participation in skills practice. The practice sessions will require some strenuous physical activity. You are encouraged to check with your health-care professional before participating in the practice sessions. If a medical condition or disability exists that might prevent participation in the activities, or there are questions about fully participating in the Lifeguard Certification Course, please contact Justin T. Hollinger at (717) 598-0309 to discuss this before the course begins.
- To enroll in the Lifeguard Certification Course, you must be at least 15 years of age before the last scheduled class session. To participate in the Lifeguard Certification Course, you must be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Swim 300 yards continuously:
100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick. (Rhythmic breathing can be performed either by breathing to the side or to the front.)
100 yards of breaststroke using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence.
100 yards of either the front crawl or breaststroke. The 100 yards may be a combination of front crawl and breaststroke.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7–10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Please bring a swimsuit and towel for every class.
Upon successful completion of the Lifeguarding course, each participant will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certificate, which is valid for 2 years.
Class 1: Friday, May 31st – 5pm-9pm Saturday, June 1 – 8am-5pm Sunday, June 2 – 12pm-5pm
Class 2: Tuesday, June 11 – Thursday 13 – 8:30am – 3:30pm
Courses taught by American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor – Justin T. Hollinger.
If there are any questions regarding this course, please contact Justin T. Hollinger at (717)-598-0309.
Registrations need to be paid in full. Classes are filled on a first come, first serve basis.
Place in class will not be held until payment is received. Refunds are given only if the class is full or Black Rock cancels the classes.
Absence in part or full after registration does not qualify for any refund.
- May 31, 2019 - June 13, 2019
5:00 pm - 3:30 pm