Escape the Storm-Tossed Ship
You’re the crew of a ship bound for the ancient city of Tarshish. Suddenly, you are caught in the waves, rain, and wind of a squall like none of you have seen before. You’ve tried everything to keep the ship afloat, but the storm is unrelenting, and you’re almost out of hope. Someone remembers that passenger who sent you on this journey in the first place; Jonah was his name. People say that he is a prophet and communicates directly with God! He’s your last hope, and was last seen below deck. Find Jonah in the crowded storage room before your ship goes under and all are lost!
We just wanted to take a minute and let you know how much we enjoyed the escape room. Everything went flawlessly and was lots of fun. We are baffled how anyone can put together those puzzles. It was a great challenge and we were thankful to have the gentle guidance provided by your staff member. Well done!! We hope you will host it again next year! Thank you.The Cornerstone Chics (Cornerstone Community Church women’s group) Lampeter, PA
Excuse Me...I Have A Question!
- How much does it cost?
The cost is $20 per person. Reservations in advance are necessary and walk-ins are not accepted.
Booking is done on-line only through the EVENT PAGES of our website, where you will:
- Choose the date and time that you would like to participate.
- Enter the number of people you wish to book in your party with a minimum of 4 and maximum of 8.
- Complete the payment information for checkout.
The booking system will drop your booking if you have not made payment within 24 hours.
- How many people can play at the same time?
Our room is designed for a maximum of 8 persons, with an ideal minimum of 4. If seeking an exception to this group size, please contact Ben Herr at firstname.lastname@example.org or (717) 529-3368.
- If I only have a couple of people in my group, will we be placed with strangers to fill the time slot?
If you reserve less than the full amount of spaces for the room, there is a chance you will be placed with other people in a session. To guarantee a room exclusively to yourselves, you need to buy all of the spots.
- What are your regular booking hours?
Monday – Friday: 6pm and 8pm
Saturday – Sunday: 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, and 8pm
To book during regular hours, you need to select a time to visit us based on availability. If you want to reserve a time outside of regular hours, please contact Jon Hill at (717) 529-3397.
- How early should we arrive for our game?
Please plan to arrive 15 minutes before your start time! You must arrive on time to participate. When you arrive, you will receive a quick briefing on the game. Then the fun begins!
Park in the Oakwood Chapel and Dining Hall parking lot at meet in the gathering area outside of the dining hall. When entering Black Rock Retreat, simply follow the main drive straight through camp until you reach a parking lot, then enter the largest building through the front.
- Can I cancel or reschedule after I have booked?
RESCHEDULING: You can reschedule (change your date and time) up to 4 days in advance of your booking time. In order to reschedule, follow the “View/Change Booking” link on the bottom of the confirmation email you received when you first booked.
CANCELLING: Unfortunately, due to how our booking system works with availability, there are no refunds or exchanges for participants who cancel or show up late.
- I want to do this as a celebration for a birthday, anniversary, or holiday party and have a special message put in the room. Do I need to book a “Private Party” for that?
All you need to do is reserve a room entirely to yourselves (minimum of 8 participants). If you desire to place something material in the room (a ring, photos, or message), arrange to drop it off beforehand.
- Are you handicap accessible?
While some clues are hidden and involve crouching, there is no climbing. Most clues involve observing and making connections rather than physical maneuvering. The escape room and restrooms are all on ground level.
SERVICE DOGS: Please email us when you are planning to book if you will be bringing a Service Dog, so that we can ensure that we are accommodating you.
- Can children participate?
The ideal age for this room is 6th grade and up. Some younger kids may excel, or at least be able to do some of the puzzles, however, having adults present to help is recommended (though you may be surprised, kids often figure out clues that the adults completely miss!)
We do not allow children under the age of 9. We need to be able to reset the room quickly for the next group, and young children’s inquisitive nature often results in items being moved or accidentally hidden, making it impossible to get the room ready for the next group in time.
- Are we really locked inside the room?
Exterior doors are not locked, so you can get out in case an emergency exit is needed. To have completed the escape room, however, locks must have been removed from the door.
- What should we bring with us?
You only need to bring your best wits and puzzle-solving ability. Wear anything you are comfortable in, but the most physical activity you will be engaging in may be squatting down or getting on your knees to get a closer look at something. If you wear reading glasses, it is advisable to bring them. You may not use your cell phone in the room.
- What happens if we don’t escape in time?
It’s a challenging game and many get close but do not get out in time. We like to give the group the feeling of have completed the room. So you will receive a bonus 10 minutes to finish it (even though this won’t count as having escaped), and after that, the moderator will walk you through remaining steps.
- Where are you located? Is parking available?
Black Rock Retreat is located at 1345 Kirkwood Pike, Quarryville, Pa 17566. Follow the main drive straight through camp (making no turns off of it) until you reach the parking lot beside our Chapel and Dining Hall (the tallest building you will have seen). Park and enter through the front doors to meet your moderator. They will take you to the Escape Room from there.
- The surest way to escape is by communicating openly with everyone else in the room. Share clues you’ve uncovered. Work together to make connections. If you discover new information, be sure everyone in the room knows about it.
- Follow the rules. Our staff will review the rules of the game with you before you begin, which include:
– There is no need to lift heavy objects.
– Never use force to try to open locked items or remove décor.
– Cell phones and other electronic devices must remain off and cannot be used inside the room.
– There are no clues hidden in any electrical outlets.
– You do not need to climb on anything to get clues.
Do not guess combinations! Combinations have meanings from the game that need to be figured out. Obvious numbers in the room are most likely not combinations.
Keep the games a mystery! Please do not reveal clues or answers to others.